So there seems to be a consensus that a healthy person is healthy of mind, body and spirit. Great! So how do we look after our spirit? We can eat healthy food and move our physical bodies, but what assists with the wellbeing of our spirit?
The answer is: Awareness
Awareness is the key and the answer and the solution all in one. Here are some easy ways to apply this, without necessarily going too ‘hippy trippy’.
- Have regular moments of focused awareness of the senses: Stop and sit, ask yourself what you can hear, smell, see, taste, sense, feel.
- In anger, frustration or other challenging emotions, take the time to pay attention to where you feel it in your body and what it feels like. Try to soften the feeling if you can, melt it and allow that feeling to move where it wants to go. This is based on Silvia Hartmann’s EmoTrance.
- Regularly stop and ask yourself “What do I need right now?”, and listen to the answer. Be aware of what you need and take heed. Eat if you are hungry, sleep if you are tired, ask for a hug or a hand if you need one, jump around like a loon if that’s what you need. If this seems unrealistic based on your situation, try it for a week or two and see what happens.
- It is important to find a safe space to allow what you feel. Things such as “putting a wall up around my heart so it doesn’t hurt”, “putting myself in a bubble of nothingness”, “drinking to numb the pain”, “getting high so I don’t have to care” are denying what the feelings are. The feelings being messages/clues to help. The denial doesn’t do anything long term to evolve the feeling. Find a trusted friend, or journal or both and release with tears and crying, raging, shouting. Using EFT and tapping just for “Calm” alone, works wonders, as well as further tapping on the issues themselves to evolve them. Make contact with an energist who is trained in handling tricky emotions in a safe way.
- Meditate. Sitting and breathing and just being is a way to enhance awareness and nurture your spirit. Sitting or laying and listening to relaxing music or nature sounds is an alternative.
- Stop and smell the flowers. Literally. Go outdoors and just find a spot and see what you notice. The stopping is hard, but well worth it! Being in nature reminds us of the bigger picture and the cycle of things as well as the beauty in the details that we often skip over. Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens…
- Write a gratitude list. Being aware of the things we have to be grateful for is a great tool to get us out of a loop of stress and worry and mundane. It gets us into recognising and appreciating things, whether they are small or big, such as “I’m grateful I am alive and breathing today!”.
- Increase the magic. Magic is synonymous with energy in how it enlivens and nourishes the spirit. Magic and fantasy take us from just existing to something special, where the potential for something great to happen is limitless. Use your imagination to create something incredible (what would you do, be, say if there were no rules, no laws of gravity or time?), use tools like Project Sanctuary to live in a magical world of your own, or immerse yourself in magical creations of others. A world that loves fantasy novels, science fiction, vampires, werewolves, zombies and Harry Potter is a world that craves energy.
- Use energy techniques like Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT). Okay, I’m sure for some that this is considered ‘hippy trippy’, but you have an energy system, and we therefore need tools that caters for it and its disruptions as well as enhancing it as far as we want to go. EFT is one of those tools. It requires your awareness of your feelings or emotions or even sensations in your body that present with situations in order to work. If you can’t feel something, or don’t want to, it is going to be much harder to evolve it.
- Laugh. Find something that makes you laugh and do it often! Make someone else laugh! Take the task of having a fun and funny life very seriously! Laughter is an emotional release much like crying is, but is far more pleasurable and you might even get to have company alongside you enjoying the process. In the same sense, (good) sex does amazing things to the energy system. Enjoy and let go any tensions or fears in an act that feels good.